Multiple Questions.....

I believe (going off memory) the Bentley says if the pump is pulling 8-10
amps then it should be replaced.  Also believe the fuel pump relay has a 15
amp fuse so anything less than that will keep the current flowing.  I know
that the wires on the fuel pump can get hot if there is resistance in the
circuit, i.e. bad or coroded connections or wires.  The 81 we just got done
working on had a fuel pump relay that was getting so hot it would burn your
hand.  Also check to see if you are getting battery voltage across the
pump.  We started out with 10V and finally got it up to 12V by installing
the correct size wire and getting rid of butt connectors with solder
joints.  That also lessened the resistance in the circuit which has dropped
the temp of the fuel pump relay to where it is warm to touch.  Bentley
(80-84) does have a good trouble shooting section on the fuel pump circuit.