From: "Janzen, Lawrence" <lwjanzen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <scirocco-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 9:34 AM
Subject: Timing Belt on Scirocco 16V

I have just replaced the timing belt, drive belt tensioner roller and
the 3 V-belts on my '87 Scirocco 16V.  After starting it, there was a
hollow-whirring sound coming from the timing belt area.  Thinking it was
the lower timing belt cover rubbing on the vibration damper, I took it
all a part again. Nope, it wasn't the lower cover.  It turns to be the
tension on the drive belt tensioner roller.  In the RB manual it states
"On 8-valve engines, you should be able to twist the belt no more that
90 degrees. On PL(16-valve) engines, you should be able to twist the
belt no more than 45 degrees."  If I run the timing belt set at 45
degrees, the tensioner roller makes this hollow-whirring sound.  If I
run the timing belt set to 90 degrees, this sound goes away and
everything sounds normal.  Timing belt and all V-belts are all
Continental and the roller is SKF.

Has anyone had this problem before?  Is this normal?  Can I run a risk
of having the timing belt set to 90 degrees?

Larry
'87 Scirocco 16V