Which to buy if either/ Struts

On 7/23/07, Karl Krupke <kkrup62@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>    Before you pull the lower (alignment) bolts, use a scratch awl to
> scribe
> a trace along the edge where the 'bracket' of the strut covers the upright
> from the hub carrier, directly inboard from the bolts. If you're precise
> with the marking and careful in reassembly, you'll be right on original
> alignment or near 'nuff it won't matter. But if you want to be sure,
> what's
> an alignment cost, $35-50 or so? Much less hassle (I think) than messing
> with (and possibly damaging) CV's, tie rod ends and ball joints.

I have had few good and mostly bad experiences with the ball joints.  I have
tried all the tricks and I usually end up destroying the rubber boot/seal
with a pickle fork, but they usually need to be replaced anyways.  I would
defiantly use Karl's method of removal unless you are doing a complete front
end rebuild.
The marking of the eccentric camber bolt works well if the bolt and washer
are in good condition.  I have tried realigning ones where the washer was
hogged out and had lots of slop when you spun it.  Even though I got the
marks lined up it was out of alignment.  Get these
http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=171498101A to
replace the stock or the ones that I have been looking at (2 at bottom of
the page) http://www.eurosportacc.com/camber.htm seem to have a better
design.  Then go have it aligned by a shop.  Do not get sucked into the
expensive 4 wheel thrust alignment crap.  The rear wheels are not
adjustable, at least at the alignment shop.  Just get a 2 wheel front
alignment.  Also ask them to center the rack while they are down there and
to *not* use air tools on anything.  I do not know if it gets done whitout
asking.  Then mark the location of the bolts like Karl explained and you
should be able to realign if necessary for a while.  If you want a quick and
easy front suspension swap the buy struts that are a complete unit and not
the inserts.  It costs a little more but taking the original units apart can
be a large PITA.  Is your time worth the extra $100?  You make the call.

--
Gordy
MK1 x 5