replacing engine mounts

On 7/22/07, levi perkins <subawrxsti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> hey guys I'm in the process of installing the engine into my rabbit but i
> need new engine mounts before i can install it and i was wondering if theres
> any tricks to replacing them kinda like a back yard way of doing it with out
> a press
> thanx in advance

Remove the side mounts and remove the old bushings with a jigsaw or a saws
all.  Cut out the inner rubber bolt runner with a wood blade and then slice
through the inner race of the bushing with a metal blade till it breaks
free.  Might grab the blade when it collapses so hold on to the saw tight.
Then get your replacement bushings and head to a shop with a bench press.
They can install them quickly and easily.  Cost should be very minimal.  You
can use a large bench vise (which the last time I did the vice broke) to
push the bearing in but why waste you time.  Also check the installation
process in the Bently since the bushings have a up and down side so do not
install them in the wrong direction.  The front and rear mounts do not
require the use of a press, which you probably already knew.  Good Luck!

--
Gordy
MK1 x 5