taking 5th gear apart

Flip the assembly over from how it appears in the pic.  With a small screwdriver, *carefully* pry off the large steel bushing.  Then the gear slips off and the synchro can be separated (and the retaining clip removed).

To reinstall the large bushing, heat it a bit.  Not red hot though.

Make sure the needle bearing looks good and the plastic retainer is not all melted.

here is how it looks apart:  http://scirocco.dhs.org/cheapassron/P7210130.JPG
without the keys and retaining clips etc. The large steel bushing is on the left.

For reassembly you may also want:

020301215C                5th
gear cover gasket

020311579B                5th