NEED HELP ASAP! - calling all VR6 gurus

My son's VR6 also had a similar problem with rain and the coil pack.
John

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben [mailto:vwtype53@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2007 5:02 PM
To: Allyn; scirocco-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: NEED HELP ASAP! - calling all VR6 gurus

Al,

How did you bench test the coil pack and determine it works?  Your problem
sounds exactly like my
97 Jetta VR6 when I had a coil pack issue... if you can, remove the pack and
take the cover off...
then get out the hairdryer... make sure it is good and dry!  Mine was giving
me problems when it
would get wet also... in fact, this is a huge issue with this gen of VR6...

If this really isn't your problem, then I'm at a loss.

Good luck!

Ben

--- Allyn <amalventano1@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> OK,
>
> So I picked up a 97 GLX VR6 Passat in PA.  Flew out there to drive home.
Stopped at my cousins
> in Pittsburg last night.  Check
> engine light came on during hard rain about 20 mins from their house, but
had no impact on
> drivability.  This morning - no start.
> Cranks fine, but no spark.  Did some troubleshooting (with their limited
house tools, ugh).
> With some creative mcgyver stype
> jumpering, I bench test the coil pack (works).  So the fault lies
somewhere before the coil pack
> (not getting signal).  I've checked
> all under-dash fuses and all harness connections I could easily get to,
including the computer
> (rain tray).  Everything seems fine.
>
> Anyhow, I have no technical background with the VR6 and cant find
schematics anywhere online.
> Has anyone troubleshot these at all?
> I'm basically stuck about 14 hours from home because of some (likely)
minor issue that's