From: Janzen, Lawrence [mailto:lwjanzen@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 1:37 PM
To: David Utley; scirocco-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Power steering fluid vs. ATF

Well, all politics aside... David was the only person to response to my
question.  Spewey's comments forced me to do some research.  Here are my
findings I thought I would share as a newbie.  You may all know this
information, but I thought I would pass it on, because no one else
shared this information.

ETKA says to use the G 002 000 fluid.  Pentosin is the manufacturer for
the factory fluid part number G 002 000.   Pentosin makes two versions
of this fluid. A quick look at the Pentosin CHF 7.1 container (white
coloured metal container with green cap) for early model vehicles (89 or
older), and at the Pentosin CHF 11S, (green coloured metal container
with red cap) for late model vehicles.  Pentosin provided the following
information.

Pentosin CHF 7.1
Hydraulic system mineral oil for level control systems, hydro pneumatic
suspension, shock absorber, power steering. Range of operation, -40C to
+100C, especially recommended for countries of cold climate. Close
container after use. Very Important: Pentosin CHF 7.1 should not be
mixed with Pentosin CHF 11S or any other hydraulic oil BMW Teile Nr: 81
22 9 407 549 Green Color fluid

Pentosin CHF 11S
Synthetic Oil for central hydraulic systems, level control, hydro
pneumatic suspension, shock absorber, power steering. Range of
operation: -40C to +130C, especially recommended for countries of cold
climate. Close container after use. Very Important: Pentosin CHF 11S
should not be mixed with Pentosin CHF 7.1 or any other hydraulic oil.
BMW Teile Nr: 81 22 9 407 758 USA BMW Teile Nr: 82 11 1 468 041 Porsche
Teilenummer: 000.043.203.33 Olive Color fluid (Olive color, is defined
as "yellow green")

I found article after article of people who have tried ATF or power
steering fluid and IT DOES NOT WORK.  Everyone always pointed back to
the G 002 000 fluid.  Some VW authorities suggest you don't change your
hydraulic fluid. This is not logical. The hydraulic steering pump is
just one of the components having many moving parts. Internal components
inside the pump and steering rack and pinion wear and mesh with one
another and create finite metallic particles which contaminate the
hydraulic fluid.  It seems only logical to perform hydraulic fluid
service as a part of your preventive maintenance schedule and change the
hydraulic fluid. It was recommended to change your hydraulic fluid as a
first step in trying to solve hydraulic related problems such as a noisy
steering pump or intermitted loss of power assisted steering. The
hydraulic fluid system should be flushed at your timing belt intervals.
Vehicles operating in hot climates or that are subjected to driving in
heavy city traffic should have their hydraulic fluid changed every
30,000 miles. It's good preventive maintenance, inexpensive and logical
for you to change your hydraulic fluid. It is much cheaper than
replacing a steering pump or steering rack and pinion.

As for links for this information...

http://www.blauparts.com/vw/vw_fluid/vw_hydraulic_fluid.shtml

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/susp.html

http://www.20v.org/pentosin.htm

Sorry for the long response to my own question.  I am planning on using
Pentosin CHF 7.1 in my power steering in my '87 Scirocco 16V...unless
someone tells me different.

Larry
'87 Scirocco 16V