electronic ignition

Hey ladies and gents, Neal and I are trying to figure out how to swap
out his points.  He has some parts and I am trying to find wiring in my
rat's nest.  I was doing this offlist but I know you all are hungry for
some hot Hall Effect on points Scirocco content outta me so read 'em and
weep.  And help.  Him, not me.  I suck.

nocones77-vw@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
 > The distributor has a square plug on it with three contacts.
 > I have three ignition modules, all variations of 191 905 351 (B/D/E)
 >
 > Now that I look at the ignition modules I got off of eBay, I wonder
if > I have ones off a knock box car. They all have seven pins on them...

 > Neal

My x-ref books are from about 1996 but they show that 191 905 351 B is
indeed the knock box variety = Bosch # 0 227 100 142 used after 1987.
The D&E revisions are too new to show up in this book but are the same
part.  BTW, they are called Transistor Units by Bosch, Ignition Control
Units by VW and 191 means A2 G/J.

The earlier part for VWs 1980-86 was Bosch 0 227 100 137  (VW 211 905
351B) and I think is the one you want.  I found one Bosch A rev and 2
Fairchild brand parts with no letter but that VW#.  That should be
enough to yield one good one.  These are definitely early ones.

However, they all have the same 7 pin configuration and my hazy memory
says that the later ones were much more prone to burning out requiring a
$200 outlay for a new one.  Obviously that breakage is all invisible so
you may have gotten duds if they were cheap.  Hazy...but maybe lots of
people are megasquirting and those are fine.

Now the catch: the only harness I have found so far has only four wires
(knock box style) and all of my early diagrams show six wires are
needed.  We may have to find little spade connectors to do this on the
"Unit" side--I'll probably be able to find a suitable plug for the
distributor end, I have several of those as well.

I'll dig a little more.  Let's ask the list if the knock box style will
work with six wires (etc) or if they have a harness.  Of course if it's
running happily with no midrange stumbling then you may want to leave it
alone for the summer.

The wiring 1984 stylee:
1 coil 1
2 ground
3 dist -
4 coil 15
5 dist +
6 dist middle
7 not used

Just to recap and show off, remember to bridge the ballast resistor wire
and change coil:
http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/69/32/
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/ballast.shtml