OT: Looking for a new(er) ride

How about a nice combo of sporty and economical, with a huge capacity to be
functional.  I am usually sporting 2 kayaks and all the relateds with a
wheeled cooler/chairs/umbrella for beachin'-it on the weekends, and I
currently work in construction and home repair (but the new ride will NOT be
toting any work crap that can mar its beautiful interior).

Personally, I am not a fan of the oh-so-popular-everyone-has-one Jetta or
Passat.  I only want 4 doors on an SUV.  Just FYI, my previous car was an'88
Honda Accord LXi (yes, 2 door hatchback, strangely similar to a MKII),
manual.  LOVED THAT CAR, and it is actually still mine, it is just in a barn
needing some serious repair work (after I am finished with the 8V).

Let's see... something sporty and sexy and safe (mom here with teenager who
likes to ride up front, hence the safety, but I am not dead and wouldn't
mind my wheels turning heads).  MUST be able to install 52" roof rack bars
and hold ~100 lbs., and possibily be able to have tow package installed to
tow small trailer (luck has it, the 8V came with the trailer hitch :)

I like the look of the new GTI, new R32, new Rabbit, Mazda 3, Honda Fit,
Vibe, Toyota Matrix.

Thanks again!!!!
Lexan