8v mechanical injector testing & cleaning question

   in my never ending question to find out why my '85 runs like crap,
especially in hot weather, i'm wondering if the injectors are going bad.
is there a way to test them other than yanking one out of the car while
it's still attached and running the fuel pump relay? also, if the spray
is bad, can they be cleaned simply by throwing them in a can of carb
cleaner or are there parts inside that will be damaged?
   also, reading cathy's thread, i'm wondering if my vacuum diaphragm on
the distributor is going bad as the problem really seems to multiply at
WOT, stumbling like a drunk man walking down hill. any way to test this
as well? my bentley is buried and the list archives seem to be down for
the moment. thanx for any help.