tank to pump fuel leak

OOOga.  It's been a long time since I've worked on a MKI.  Sorry about the
mistake.
In that case, I would make a short piece of hose with a plug on one
end...pull the line and connect the plugged piece to the tank until the hose
is connected to the pump and ready to connect to the tank.  You shouldn't
make too much of a mess that way.