Pulley marks not lining up?

Ben, do some other work to it without "slower than a VR6" Dad will know about.

Ben Walter <toofast4you89@gmail.com> wrote:  i like your thinkin' tonee:)

  On 1/30/07, Tonee Northam <pb3vr6@yahoo.com> wrote:   Don don't make up excuses for Ben to have a faster 16v than yours.

Don Walter < dswalterwi@gmail.com> wrote:  We are in the final stages of getting my son's (Ben) engine back to
together. We have a problem in that we have two crank shaft pulleys that
both have the same numbers stamped on them (027 105 243 BC). One has the
outside pulley mounted to it that was for the Power Steering and the Water
Pump with A/C. The other looks like something was bolted to it as a stud is
broke off. But more about the problem. They don't fit on the crankshaft
with the timing marks at the same position. How can that be??? They both
will only fit in one position to get the 4 holes to line up. The timing
marks are off by slightly over 90 degress. Now I don't know which one to
trust or use to align the timing correctly. How can I know if the crank is
actually at the correct position. We did mark the timing belt gear before
we took off the pulley when the cam gear was at the top mark on the valve
cover and the distributor was at or near the mark on the distributor. This
engine did run before it was pulled and ran good. The engine is a
1.8L16V. I need to use the pulley with both pulleys attache to each
other but
that is the one that does not match the original positioning. The other
pulley does match the original markings. We did hand spin the engine and
did not seem to have any interference at least nothing stopped it from
spinning through several cycles. Can any one help???
Here are some pictures of what we think is right.
http://scirocco.dyn.dhs.org/vw/list/Don_Walter/EngineRebuild/

--
Don Walter - Waukesha, WI
1986 8V Black Scirocco (Daily Driver)