not rocco related (holy crap)

--- Marc Getty <marc@getty.net> wrote:

> Just down the street from where I work in the middle of the city is the
> first 1964 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe <http://getty.net/daytona.jpg>
> which a
> local neurosurgeon Dr. Fred Simeone bought $4.4 million in 2001. Last
> year I
> got to take a tour of his amazing collection of over 50 vintage
> unrestored
> sports cars. His collection dates back to 1901 with a focus on 1920s and
> 1930s Alfa Romeos, Aston Martins, Masseratis, and my favorite: two gull
> wing
> Mercedes-Benz SLs, one of which the doctor drove in college.
>
> Personally, I don't think that it is always foolish to buy a car for
> $5.5
> million. Just think that this was sold at auction and there was another
> "fool" willing to pay $5.4+ million who was outbid by a "fool" who paid
> the
> $5.5 million. As long as there is someone out there willing to pay the
> money, the car is worth that much money.
>
> Remember that perfect early year Mk1 ('75?) with less then a 1,000 miles
> on
> it for sale for $10k in central PA? Well it was snapped up in a
> heartbeat
> and could have sold for a whole lot more. Who bought it? Volkswagen of
> America. Hell, I seen 23 window deluxe VW buses sell for $50k to $80k
> all
> the time!
>
> A friend of a friend came into $10k and spent $8k on an Alienware Laptop
> play games on. To me, that is foolish. In 24 months that thing will be
> worth
> 1/4 to 1/8 of its up-front cost. For a guy of moderate means this was a
> complete and utter waste and makes buying a sports car look like a good
> investment in fun to dollar ratio over time, and doing that is quite
> difficult!
>
> Just my two cents.
>
> -Marc

I guess it all boils down to what someone is willing to pay for something.
 I dont know though, I am the sort of guy who has never really had much
money ever, so if I put a lot of money into something, I want to make sure
I get my dollars worth out of it.  I will never be a person that buys a
car just for it's pedigree and nothing else.  If I want a Cobra, I'll drop
$25k into a kit so I can put whatever engine in that I want, and have a
car with a modern engine and better suspension.  I'm sure I would be awed
by the original shelby coupe if it were presented in front of me just as
much as the next guy but the only thing on my mind would be driving it-
HARD.  :)
Now, 10k for an original unrestored MK1 with less than a 1,000 miles on it
sounds reasonable to me.  10k is more of a money value that I can relate
with.  Hell, I'll have 12k in my Jeep.  Paying very slowly, month by
month.  :P  $8k for a laptop?  Now that is just silly.  I built my own
gaming rig for about $700 that would run rings around the best gaming
laptop out there.  I guess I've always been the type to make up for my
lack of funds with knowledge.  I see junked up cars somewhere and think-
"ooh, I can do something with that!"  Where the beautiful million-dollar
cars on the auction shows dont do a thing for me.  For as much as those
cars are worth, I'd probably want to change something. (people are always
telling me I cant leave anything alone)

So really, my problem must be that I cannot relate to the amount of money
that people are throwing around.  Maybe I can look up this question again
when I have 100-million laying around and we will see what my answer is.
:D

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
01 Jeep TJ 4.0

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html