Hatch Removal - wires disconnect

My 16V is in a state of disassembly for painting, but I'm trying to get
the rear hatch off.  Glass is removed. I have access to the bolts under
the headliner, but the wires for defrost/plate lights are confounding
me... the rubber boot is in good shape, but there is no connector
anywhere that I see to make this job simple (when is it ever simple?).
Where/How do I disconnect the wires such that this can go back together
the best way ("best," of course, is up to your interpretation...)  This
question was once asked in the archives, but there doesn't seem to be
any replies.

- Camron from Vancouver, WA USA
   '86.5 Black 16V 2.0L Scirocco