New 1987 Scirocco 16v owner

Nice car Eric!
It seems like no Scirocco is "stock" these days.  That car had its original
wheels replaced.  Nice choice, though.  You can't go wrong with snowflakes
(or Flash Silver!).

FYI, someone replace the tailgate "16V" badge with a grill badge, as well.

Are you new to VWs/Sciroccos?

As far as the timing belt, we always say it's "cheap insurance," as a broken
belt on the 16V can be catastrophic.  Continental is one of the OE suppliers
and you can likely find one at www.parts4vws.com or www.germanautoparts.com

I'd go with the stuff Daun suggests (and listen carefully to him, Dan Bubb
and several others on here).

I'll add a few thoughts:
There's a good chance that your upper strut bearings are shot.  They are
about $20 for OE type ones at the above sites and are easy enough to change
if you're mechanically inclinded, have the right tools and have access to a
spring compressor

Replace your tailight seals if you have water leaking into the trunk.
They're cheap and easier to deal with than a rusty floor.  Get 'em at the
dealer.

Sciroccos need a shift linkage rebuild every few years.  The kit for a basic
bushing refresh costs about $8 and is one of the easier jobs on the car.

Wheel bearings: many folks are driving a car with a noisy ($20) wheel
bearing (or two) and don't even know it.  Have someone with watercooled VW
knowledge drive it and you might be surprised at what they point out.

Definitely change your gear oil!!

Welcome.

Jim