Timing the cam - what about the intermediate shaft tocrankshaft?

Hi Ed,
    Really fuzzy memory of a '79 that went through a couple of belts...
seems I remember the procedure as setting all shaft timimg from the front of
the engine; the cam shaft mark lined up at the edge of the head, crank &
intermediate shaft marks adjacent to each other with another mark on the
'cover plate' between them.
    Sorry I can't think of what it's properly called, and my Bentley is
miles away right now... but if you visualize the two pulleys are like this>
O O

then the piece that has the mark on it is shaped sort of like this> )(
between the pulleys,

resulting in anarrangement sorta like this> O)(O , with a little dot stamped
in the middle of the )@( [note: this is all so not to scale].

    So... top, bottom, and ignition all gotta be in synch, right? Using all
three timing marks means crank is set for #1, cam for #1, and spark for #1;
all as it should be.
    Dan wrote that the "absolute position of the auxilary shaft isn't
important" which is correct; so long as your distributor rotor is lined up
on #1 it's where it should be for the engine to run.
    But bear in mind that the distibutor CAN be rotated almost a full 360
degrees (I think the vacuum advance/retard bumps into the block at some
point, so the range excludes a short arc).
    If there wasn't a mark for the aux shaft, you could possibly (easily)
have the aux, and thus the distributor, out of time. Which is easy enough to
correct, just twist the distributor to the right place, unless it's in that
"no go" range I mentioned...oops, right?
    Also, all the cables and vacuum lines are designed to mount with the
distributor within a certain range of arc.
    So, that's why there's a timing mark on the aux shaft. Hope this is
helpful.

Karl

>From: "Edward Effinger" <Eeffinger@conestogac.on.ca>
>To: "Verboten1" <verboten1@gmail.com>
>CC: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject: Re: Timing the cam - what about the intermediate shaft
>tocrankshaft?
>Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 15:53:48 -0500
>
>Thanks for your reply.
>I wonder then why they put a timing mark on the crankshaft/intermediate
>shaft?
>Thanks in advance for any feedback.
>Ed '81S

Find sales, coupons, and free shipping, all in one place!  MSN Shopping
Sales & Deals
http://shopping.msn.com/content/shp/?ctid=198,ptnrid=176,ptnrdata=200639