smoking alternator ground

This may be where a picture is worth a thousand words, so it's easier to
tell what wires on the alternator we're talking about. And it's easy to
ground the tranny temporarily with a jumper cable from the tranny to the
negative battery post, see if that makes a difference. Even if the wire's
there, it may be corroded all to shit under the airbox.
But be sure all those alternator wires are going to the right spots first,
red, for an example, isn't usually a ground wire (brown generally IS),
unless someone rewired it with whatever wire they had on hand, then it's
open season on what goes where! :)
Cathy
Never trusting wiring to be stock 20 years after manufacture...