3A and 9A motor plans

On 2/23/07, David Brown <sharpshooter33@roadrunner.com> wrote:

> Ok I'm not sure this made it to the list the 1st time.
>
> I'm currently planning on making the 9A a N/A swap either in my Jetta or
> my project rocco
>
> The 3A I am thinking I'm going to use for a turbo project for which ever
> car doesn't get the 9A

Go here for 3A swap procedure, it helped me.  It is under Tech Tips - Engine
Swaps
http://www.driversfound.com/scirocco/

I have read that the early A3 OBD1 ABA 2.0L block comes from the factory
with forged crank and rods which *might* be a better start for a forced
induction project.  I have not done one ever so hopefully Dan or someone can
correct me if I am full of shit.

My 1st guestion is... will the Wisco and JE low compression pistons work
> with the 3A block?  Is there any differences from the 3A and the 9A as far
> as piston, crank, oil gears etc that I need to know about?  My plans are to
> put a 16v 1.8 head on it. Stock head pieces(valves, cam, etc).

I would think you could get aftermarket pistons for any block, bore,
stroke and compression ratio you need.

Is there any differences in the stroke or rods of the 3A from the 9A?

Some good info here:
http://not2fast.wryday.com/vw/stuff/vw_engines.shtml

--
Gordy