  From: Cory Langford
  To: Scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 4:04 PM
  Subject: MK1 water temp gauge with idiot light....

  Okay here is the story,

  The tac went on the mk1, so I quickly swapped in another mk1 cluster I had
  sitting in the garage. The only difference between the two is the temp
  gauge on the old one was just a gauge, the new one has the led in the
  centre.

  When the car is started the light blinks for a moment and then goes out,
  like it is supposed to.

  Now, because the car has the small rad (so the g60 charger will fit) it
  runs just under 1/2 under normal driving (so just below the led on this
  gauge).  In stop and go traffic it runs at about 1/2 way (needle pretty
  much covers the led).  In heavy traffic, when you have to sit and idle for
  long periods of time, it runs at just over the led (needle is just letting
  the led be shown).

  The issue is that the led starts to blink when I hit that mark in heavy
  traffic.  It is getting rather annoying, as when the fan kicks in it lowers
  the temp and the led goes out, then it comes on again, fan kicks in and it
  goes out, and then on again (you get the picture...)

  I had a quick look and I can't see any additional wiring for the led in the
  bently.  I know on the MK2 with the idiot light, the led will not come on
  until the gauge is almost right to the top (around 90% range).  Is the
  gauge supposed to come on at about 60% on the mk1s?  Is there something I
  have missed (ie: a wiring connection of some kind, like low coolant?)  or
  is it just a buggered up temp gauge?

  TIA

  Cory