MK1 water temp gauge with idiot light....

Okay here is the story,

The tac went on the mk1, so I quickly swapped in another mk1 cluster I had
sitting in the garage. The only difference between the two is the temp
gauge on the old one was just a gauge, the new one has the led in the
centre.

When the car is started the light blinks for a moment and then goes out,
like it is supposed to.

Now, because the car has the small rad (so the g60 charger will fit) it
runs just under 1/2 under normal driving (so just below the led on this
gauge).  In stop and go traffic it runs at about 1/2 way (needle pretty
much covers the led).  In heavy traffic, when you have to sit and idle for
long periods of time, it runs at just over the led (needle is just letting
the led be shown).

The issue is that the led starts to blink when I hit that mark in heavy
traffic.  It is getting rather annoying, as when the fan kicks in it lowers
the temp and the led goes out, then it comes on again, fan kicks in and it
goes out, and then on again (you get the picture...)

I had a quick look and I can't see any additional wiring for the led in the
bently.  I know on the MK2 with the idiot light, the led will not come on
until the gauge is almost right to the top (around 90% range).  Is the
gauge supposed to come on at about 60% on the mk1s?  Is there something I
have missed (ie: a wiring connection of some kind, like low coolant?)  or
is it just a buggered up temp gauge?

TIA

Cory