Exhaust: Do we really need back pressure?

I am actually questioning the injection and timing (engine management issue
really) with the sanctioning body.  Currently the rule is you have to use
the stock engine management system, BUT if you have an electronically
controlled engine from the factory you are allowed to swap the prom in the
ECU for any type you want, you just can't change the actual ECU and system
used.  If you have a mechanical system you can't change anything.

I have questioned the validity of this, as I can get a prom written for an
ECU that can change the timing and fuelling to anything I want while
keeping the standard ECU (this is how I customized the G60 currently in the
mk1), and I have suggested that this gives modern cars an unfair advantage
over older mechanical injection vehicles.

I am waiting to see what they respond with.  If I can go electronic I may
not be able to go full customized (like mega squirt), but I may be able to
upgrade to a newer injection system used by VW (IE: digifant 1 with custom
prom).  At the very least I am hoping to be able to add a adj.  timing gear
and swap in a different fuel distributor (European, or something) to get
rid of that bottle next at the air intake the best I can.

Now if I go to GT-lite, I could run dual carbs though :)

Cory