From: Carlyle Fitzgerald [mailto:clfitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 9:37 PM
To: scirocco-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Back after a LOOOONG absence - Did Someone Say Exhaust?

Hey, Peter...

> It's no problem... I'd be sad to pull the exhaust anyway...
> It's a non-sunroof car, and in a few months it will qualify as an antique,
> which means no more state inspections. All I have to do is update my
> insurance, and renew the Exempt sticker every 2 years, for free.

Cool.  I wish West Virginia would do something like that.  Here, they stick
you every time you turn around.  Yearly inspection no matter what your car's

age, extra charge for antique plates, etc.

> I do have your site bookmarked, though, and I'm sure you'll get some
> business from me not long from now.
> Ok, sounds good.
>
> What color is your interior?

Well...There's a brown back seat, but the what's left of the front is blue
with red piping.  I think the blue and red was the original scheme; I seem
to remember the red trim being a kind of trademark of the GTI package.

<SNIP>

> You're better off doing a head-back anyway, dual exhaust manifold/DP (or
> header), and a cat-back, to get good gains.

I have plans for something like a dual manifold/header setup, eventually.  I

know it's an easy way to get more power and better mileage to boot.

> Also, if you don't mind a lumpy idle, once the exhaust is done, look into
> the 286 Autotech cam, it will make it pull strong all the way to 7200RPM,
> like a 16V.

NOW we're talkin'.  The motor's strong, I think.  It doesn't seem to use any

oil, and the weak point right now is the clutch.  Once I get the overheating

problem taken care of, a clutch kit is going in there.

Looks to be a busy winter...

Carlee