Cautionary Tale on Motor Mount adjustments...

All,

  Last week, I just finished a transplant into my Caddy (GTI
engine/tranny/suspension/rack), and it appears that I did something wrong.
*horror*  When I adjusted the mounts, I only loosened the front and rear
mounts, not the sides.  As it turns out, I knew something was up since I
couldn't find reverse, and the rear mount was quite a bitch to line-up.  As
it turns out, I had the sucker off towards the drivers' side all the way,
the bolts for the engine and tranny mounts were all the way over to the
right (when looking at the car)!  So, when you do the ol' loosen the mounts
and see where it settles, be sure to loosen the engine/tranny mounts so that
they are in or near center of their holes.  This advice will best work for
untweaked cars, but it may work for the bendy ones too.

FYI,

  David