My car mysteriously died while driving

Heavy rains the night before.  I get in my car to drive to work and get
about half way, around 15 miles.  I was driving along and went to put on the
brakes and I seen the tach drop to zero and then all electrical was dead.
Under the rain tray was a lot of wet leaves and debris that I think a rodent
put there and the trunk was soaking wet.  Even the spare tire had water in
it.  Had it towed home.  I was messing with it as the electrical was working
very weired.  Turning the key to on the idiots lights were very dim.
Opening the door turned off the LCD clock.  Closing the door turned the
stereo on.  The hazard on created a strange buzzing noise from the dash
area.  I started pushing the door switch and flipping the hazard switch on
and off just for the heck of it and all of a sudden I heard what sounded
like the fuel pump kicking on and then all was better.  I checked behind the
fuse panel and it was dry as a bone no sign of water leaking back there.
Just the water soak debris under the rain tray piled up arond the computer
and that thing on the aluminium heat sink.  The trunk was just like a
swimming pool.

Now it seems to drive just find.  What could it have been?

--
Don Walter - Waukesha, WI
1986 8V Black Scirocco (Daily Driver)