transmission reassembly!

The "cracking" I see is typical and appears to be from the casting process.  I am inclined to tell
you not to worry about it.

If you want to swap covers, they could be the same - or maybe not.  The very old 5 speeds used a
shorter pinion shaft without a support bearing in the 5th gear cover.  Covers for those won't work
on any newer 5 speed.  Just look inside both covers and make sure all bores and bearings match up.

Ron

http://koabi.lazyslacker.com/photos/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7543&g2_serialNumber=1.jpg

http://koabi.lazyslacker.com/photos/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=8149&g2_serialNumber=1.jpg