Bridge Collapse

Chris Bennett wrote:
> Well if the goddamn treehuggin' liberals didn't claim nukes make baby
> Jesus cry--they could test the metal structure via radiological means.
>  That's how they do critical weld inspections in the shipyard.
>
> I am kidding about the liberals... but not the treehuggers.  LOL

I think the liberals are fine with nukes--look at France, they are
almost entirely nookulyer.  They are so smart, I love them (can you tell
I just saw SiCKO?)

"Part of their popularity comes from the fact that scientists and
engineers have a much higher status in France than in America. Many high
ranking civil servants and government officials trained as scientists
and engineers (rather than lawyers, as in the United States)..."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/reaction/readings/french.html

But container ships still run on bunker fuel because regular merchant
sailors can't be trusted to run a reactor.  Only the military gets the
cool toys.  Can you imagine if a bridge inspector was shooting x-rays
under minivans and the soccer moms found out?  Radar & laser are being
used but x-rays have to stay in the lab.

http://www.tfhrc.gov/pubrds/jan00/nde.htm

<big science woody>