Bridge Collapse

Spray-on de-icer is fairly new and European.  Boschung is based in
Switzerland and has over 50 years of experience in winter maintenance
products and services.
http://www.boschungamerica.com/

This is a 34 page pdf describing the system, first of its kind in US on
a bridge that big in 1999.
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/maintenance/Anti-icing%20evaluation.pdf

"Various chemicals are available for use in an anti-icing system
including, but not limited to, magnesium, potassium, and calcium
chlorides/acetates, glycol, and urea based anti-icing systems.  Mn/DOT
decided to use potassium acetate in the evaluation of the bridge
anti-icing system."

It offers the advantage of being less aggressive on soils and much less
corrosive, and for this reason is preferred for airport runways. It is,
however, more expensive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_acetate

Scattering salt (sodium chloride) is the age old method and we still use
it in addition but is ineffective at temps below 15?F.

bzzzt, wrong