Manual Steering Rack Questions

The Mk.1 U-shaft is the same part no. as the Mk.2 manual U-joint.

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Geordy Rostad [mailto:geordy@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2007 6:19 PM
To: scirocco-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Manual Steering Rack Questions

I'm swapping a manual rack with the Quaife short ratio kit into my '87 16v.
I have a couple questions.  First off, it seems that I need a different
u-joint shaft.  Does that have to come from an 8v mk2 or is there another
source?  I've heard I could lengthen one off another vehicle, I have access
to the tools but what is the dimension I would need to lengthen it to?
Could I just lengthen the one out of my car now or is it a different
clamping thing at the bottom?  Perhaps someone could make it really easy on
me and sell me the correct part ;-)

Thanks
--
Geordy