Manual Steering Rack Questions

I'm swapping a manual rack with the Quaife short ratio kit into my '87 16v.  I have a couple questions.  First off, it seems that I need a different u-joint shaft.  Does that have to come from an 8v mk2 or is there another source?  I've heard I could lengthen one off another vehicle, I have access to the tools but what is the dimension I would need to lengthen it to?  Could I just lengthen the one out of my car now or is it a different clamping thing at the bottom?  Perhaps someone could make it really easy on me and sell me the correct part ;-)

Thanks
--
Geordy