Welding, How did people learn?

DYWong wrote:
(snip)

> A class is definintely good to understand the "whys" and "hows".

I agree. A lot of people, with no training and a little practice, can
lay down a nice looking bead using a MIG welder, but "looking good" and
"being good" are not always the same thing. It's good to learn about the
variables such as type and thickness of metal, types of joints, gapping
or beveling of joints before welding, the correct current settings,
electrode type and diameter if you are doing stick welding, and how to
achieve proper penetration and test the joints. There are lots of other
things to learn, no the least of which is SAFETY. Obtain the proper
safety equipment and learn how not to set your pants on fire while you
are busily laying down a long bead. And learn what not to weld - like
galvanized steel - unless you take proper precautions. It gives off a
noxious gas and it doesn't take much of it to make you as sick as a dog.

Chris