Welding, How did people learn?

I grew up on a farm and we had welding/cutting equipment.  My dad taught
me the basics when the farm implements broke, needed modifications or we
had to build stuff.  When I got to high school I took a formal class and
learned the theory behind it all as well as more practical instruction.
Since I majored in Mechanical Engineering in college, I also took a
welding class while I was there too.

A class is definintely good to understand the "whys" and "hows".  But
nothing beats practice.

Good Luck.

-Dick-
78 Scirocco