Well, a new O2 sensor fixed my problem...

Check your mixture (you'll need to fabricate, buy or borrow a DPR test
harness) and check to make sure your coolant temperature sensor
connection (on the back of the head, towards the firewall) is clean and
tight (I sanded mine to get to good copper).  These were the 2 things I
managed to track down on my car, it ran like complete ass for a LONG time.

Good write-up on the mixture test:
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/vwtuning/vwtuning1.html

I have a DPR rig I can loan out if you need it.

Nate