Alt whine in the radio

Comm Tech to the rescue.  I'm surprised Chris hasn't said anything, unless I
missed his post.

Firstly I'd check the grounds, or as I saw someone say earlier, just run a
lead directly to the neg terminal on the battery which is the same as
grounding, to test if this is the problem.  I've seen this as a problem both
from the deck's ground being bad and the amps.  If it improves after this
test then try to remount the ground wire from the plug into a better
position.  Maybe new wire or a better contact patch where it meets the
chassis.  Maybe wire it directly to the battery permanently or at the very
least look for a better ground inside the dash.  I have heard of the ground
inside the deck going bad and needing to open the deck to fix it, but I've
never seen it.
Secondly, move the signal cable and power cables away from each other.  At
least 6 inches should do.  Inductive capacitance will allow high freq
oscillations from your power to jump to the signal and out your speakers.
Thirdly, even if there is power jumping over to your signal lines you can
clean them up with filter caps or crossovers.  They aren't overly expensive
relatively.
Filter Caps:  One way a capacitor works is basically it's a break in the
line but it still allows freq oscillations across a gap.  Power is not
allowed to pass directly while certain frequencies are.  This is a very
simplified explanation for the context of this subject.  Another thing a Cap
will do is store a little power to reduce the inconsistencies in power
fluctuations during a surge or short loss of power.  It reduces strain on
your cars power system and allows more consistant power to your amplifier.
You just pick the kind of cap you want and put it in line.  Again very
simplified and a good Car Audio store should be able to provide good advice
on choosing the right size and how and where to mount it.  Now you might say
that I make two conflicting statements, it doesn't allow power to pass
directly while it provides consistent power but both statements are true.
The power provided by your car has a frequency to it and that's what you're
trying to block.  The power provided by the cap is not really provided at
all, it just charges based on power being drawn into it then it releases it
when it's needed.  Very simplified again.
Cross Overs:  Now these are a little more complicated.  It's a combination
of an Inductive coil and a Capacitor.  The two are matched to block all but
specific frequencies.  You can set them allow all your audio frequencies or
you can get a couple and block your lows from going into your High range
speakers while blocking your highs from going into your Subwoofers.  Same
thing here, it takes a little math and a good Car Audio shop will know how
to figure out what freq range you are trying to pass and what your trying to
block.

I'm no expert, just an enthusiast.  I'm sure there's other options as well
but these are fairly simple to implement.

      Rave Racer
Current:
'91 Jetta GLI 2.0L 16V
'81 Scirocco Mk1 1.8L 8V Digifant 2