Early/ late brake Master Cylinder

Hi list,
    Question is how to tell the difference between 'early' MC for FR disc/ R
drums, and 'late' MC for 4x disc.
    I've read that when upgrading to 4x discs, the MC should also be
changed. I think it has a larger bore.
    Is it possible to tell externally (ie; visually, without removing) by
visible stamped part number or measurement of external size or some other
criteria; whether an unknown MC is 'early' or 'late' as described above?
    And same question as applied to the F/R pressure proportioning valves; I
think there's one compatible with 'early' and a different one for 'late'.

thanks, Karl