17"x7" rims on '87 Scirocco 16V

Ben Walter has 17X7 Flik Wasp's 4-100

"Janzen, Lawrence" <lwjanzen@hydro.mb.ca> wrote:  Hello List,
I am looking at purchasing (from a friend) a set of 17"x7" (ET+40)
5-spoke rims to put on my '87 scirocco 16v. There have no brand name on
the rims. All the rims have on them are "JWL" and "VIA" and "Made in
China". When I look at tirerack.com, they only recommend 15" and 16"
rims for the scirocco.
-Does anyone on the list running 17" rims?
-If you have, what issues have you had?
-Is an offset of +40 enough? Too much?
-What size tires do you have?
(When I use the tire-calculator on Scirocco.org, it recommends 195x40)
-How close is theory to practice?

I would like know what the largest size tire that I can run without
having too many rubbing issues.

I currently have a completely stock suspension on my scirocco, but the
future plan is to go to coilovers. I have also include a link for pic
of the car as some have asked.
http://www.neojedi.com/dublife/yausoroti/ownerSheet3.php?id=1592

Thanks for the advice,

Winnipeg Larry
'87 Scirocco 16v
'84 Jetta GLi
(I don't bother mentioning my '98 Windstar and my '03 Camry - I don't
love those vehicles)