broken tachometer

Hi Andrew,
    um... Bentley manual for your model and year, electrical schematic;
trace, isolate, troubleshoot.
    I'm being brief and trying to NOT sound rude (probably failing, sorry).
    If the engine is running and the tach is not announcing that fact to
you; just follow the wiring by the book, test as you go from signal
generator (distributor) to monitor (tach).
    Quick cheat; see if you can fake the tach into reading something. If so,
it's working, just not getting signal. In that case look for a bad
connection, either loose wiring or cracked flex circuit (wrapped behind the
gauge cluster on older VW's).

Karl