OT: Bad News

All,
    I just recieved some bad news.  Someone I served in the Navy with
(in Italy) was killed in an IED attack near Bagdad.  He was married
and had four children.  He was a devout Catholic.

I for one am not a traditional religeous person.  Usually I pray when
there's turbulance.  I think I will say a few words this evening.

My family reported to USS Emory S. Land on the same day Mr.
Murphy-Sweet and his family did.  For some unknown reason my report no
later than date was the Friday before a three day weekend.  The Land
was out to sea at the time so we checked into the "beach detachment"
and we were put up in TLA (Temp Lodging Assignment).  They left us
there all weekend (72 hours) with no food or water--the water wasn't
potable--You have to buy bottled water.  Since there was also an
Italian holiday at the time, most of the restaurants and stores were
closed.  We couldn't communicate with the locals very well and were
ignorant of local customs (reposo--like Mexico's siesta's).  We ended
up living on the munchies we had left over from the 14 hour flight to
Europe.

Because of all that, and then going through all of the check-in stuff
with them, I was fairly close to him and his family.  He was an
officer and I was enlisted so an unduely familiar relationship (read
that informal friendship) was more or less forbidden, so I always
addressed him as Mister Murphy-Sweet, and "Sir", but there was an
unspoken mutual respect there... closest thing we could have to a
friendship.  He was a damn good officer that didn't believe he was
better than the enlisted men he commanded.

He also made sure nobody ever got left in TLA again without being checked on.