From: <julie@menloparkrandd.com>
To: "A Org, Scirocco" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2007 10:30 PM
Subject: Mid life crisis present to self.....

Whelp after searching for at least a year and a couple of long distance
false leads, a fellow lister told me that a Mars Red 81 MKI MIGHT come up
for sale.... Gack...
I still had to finish off the deal with another lister. Once that last
payment went out the IRS (Yours feinds in the government) decided they were
at fault for siezing last years taxes and released them! YEEE HAAA MKI time
kiddies!

I had seen pics of the car, Ron sent me a word doc with all the goodies and
the flaws in the car. Even pics of Ben welding the floor after a repair. He
seemed worried I wouldn't like the car after seeing it. Silly man. I have
known Ron for years, one of the most honest and straight forward people I
have met yet.

I flew out Friday from Albany AP, stopping at La Guardia (avoid at ALL
costs), then on to Columbus. Daun picked me up and drove me back saying
"We'll stop at the hanger so you can see the car". Humm. Ok.

We walked in, and there it sat, a gold bow on the drivers door. A quick
check of the tail (no comments please), then to the interior. Pop the hood
and start opening it.
Voices. I hear voices... <shrug> Some one working on one of the planes....
Then I hear my name called. I looked up, saw the half dozen people. Humm.
They look formilliar.... wait. What are they doing here?
The rest of the weekend is a blur (heck 1100 miles in 9H 45 min. How would
your brain cells be?)

All I did to get the car ready was to tighten a rear wheel bearing. Simple.
As Ron said, a bit hard on the cold start, but MAN. What a roar!

On the way home, hit white out conditions, the snow so deep and fast that 2
lane highway was down to one and slow speeds. Almost slid into an SUV, tried
frantically to hit the snow bank instead. Thank god I stopped a foot away.

The car ran perfectly the whole way (apart from the lack of H2O temp and the
bloody red light flashing, flashing for 1100 miles) AND a mis reading
speedo. Hummm. 3500 prm, 4K transaxle... about 65? Well the cops left me a
lone and I got home.

What? Who's calling my name? Ohhh... Its my pillow.. Coming dear!

Gotta go. Thats a fast update. (god its like one of Caths!) Damn it. Now I
have to find Mars Red nail polish.....