16v no start problem

I just brought a 92 passat 16v and its won't start. Its not getting spark. I
pulled a spark plug wire and used a new spark plug and grounded it to the
motor while my brother cranked it and its not producing spark at all.

so I traced the problem further and I hooked a voltage meter up to the coil.
I hooked the positive to the + side on the coil and negative to the - side
of the coil and tested it with the ignition and while cranking and I'm not
getting voltage. then I unhooked the ECU and connected a 12V wire from the
jump box to the + side of the coil and still nothing.

Then I tested the small black nodule that is right next to the coil and
removed the connector and tested each wire for power and I'm not getting
power from any of the wires.

So I'm at the point now where I don't know what else to check. Anyone have
any suggestion on what to look at or check?

One thing I did notice is that when I turn on the ignition the clock on the
dash goes out. I thought it was the battery until I put a jump box on the
battery and it was still doing it with it cranking fast. Don't know if it
helps but it something I noticed while trying to trouble shoot.