PSA

On 4/3/07, Koabi Brooks <koabi.brooks@gmail.com> wrote:
> semi OT - I just put XP on a future carputer box.  Took forever to get all
> the freaking updates, and now I am out of date already...lol

Fucking windows...  I've just spent the majority of the last few days
installing Vista on my new computer (yeah I know, I'm retarded for
even trying).  I've never been more frustrated with a piece of
software in my life...  One issue after another, several blue screens
of death, two full re-installs, mysterious random issues with each
install, and general huge pita...  My screensaver/powersaver features
wouldn't activate, and strangely enough it turned out to be a conflict
with my (MICROSOFT!) keyboard/mouse combo.  WTF!   Microsoft's own
hardware not working with their software!  (the fix: a clear-as-mud
named patch - "HID Non-User Input Data Filter").

Other issues included a red screen when playing video with VLC (had to
switch my output to directx, but after my last full vista re-install
this issue didn't come up).  Attempting to use system restore to
resolve some serious issues led to further frustration.  My
motherboard's built in "Sigmatel" audio required an optional windows
update to fix the garbled sound coming out of my speakers, but after
using system restore windows update didn't recognize the fact that I
needed that particular update again, and I could not find that update
through Microsoft to "manually" update it.  Google came to the rescue
again (as it was forced to do on all the other issues since vista
couldn't tell me how to fix the problem, let alone tell me WHAT the
problem was most of the time), and pointed me to an updated driver for
it...  Adobe reader had conflicts, as did half of the software I've
tried to install.  Then my secondary display wasn't being recognized
and...  blah blah blah...

I'm far from an IT pro, but I can't imagine how the average joe would
make out trying to upgrade (or even run) vista!  I actually like the
presentation of it, the media center is cool (although the sideways
scrolling makes me dizzy), but it's ridiculously buggy.  Time to look
into a Linux package...  :)  Hit me off list if you have any
recommendations.

Scirocco content:  still plugging away at completely stripping Mike
A's old wrecked 16v.  I swapped the 16v brake setup from my 75 to the
82 dd, and put the 11" corrado setup from the donor car onto the 75
this week to solve the problem of a very noisy wheel bearing.  The
pedal has a bit more travel, but it'll do for now until I swap the
rest of the 16v brake system in when I swap the 16v engine.  Snow is
forecast for the next couple days, so hopefully spring whether will
return soon enough so I can get my parking spot back!

Later,

Mark.
75
82