one more problem with brakes

> I've found the group to be pretty helpful when my e-mail
> actually gets through the server

Yup.

> The shoes are making contact with the drum on the passenger
> side but it can still be turned by hand with the car on
> jacks. The driver side, with the cable adjustment at almost
> all the way and lever pulled as far as it should go will spin
> freely.

Not what it is supposed to be when the handbrake is pulled.

> The pedal stops both sides. The cable clip is clamped
> down on both sides but that wire coil thing won't keep the
> the rubber spacer in place at all.

Something is kinked, or bent, or whatever, but this is not normal.

> I had replaced the wheel cylinders while doing a break job
> and I have no idea when the last time they were bled is but
> the old fluid is pretty cloudy.

If it were my car, I'd flush the brake fluid, with new one.

> The wheel cylinders, cables, and springs in the
> breaks are all new. I have new shoes but the current ones
> have just about the same amount of meat as the new ones.

All new parts, so there is no reason they sould not work.

> I'll get a pic tomorrow and stick it on my photobucket. I'm
> sure everything is put together right but I may be
> overlooking something simple.

If this is how they are, no wonder they aren't working.
<<http://tinyurl.com/z5n2v>>

Look at pressure rod, item 10:
<<http://www.924.id.lv/Heynes%20Manual%20924/09_Braking_files/image026.gif>>

Here is the whole procedure for a Porsche 924:
<<http://www.924.id.lv/Heynes%20Manual%20924/09_Braking.htm>>

It is not a bad idea to give the parts a good cleaning with brake cleaner.
The drum shoes have each three pressure points where they touch the back
plate. Not a bad idea either to give these points -just a tiny drop - of
white lithium grease.

I'd measure the inside diameter of the drum, just to make sure they are
within specs.