  From: Nate Mellom
  Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 7:04 PM
  Subject: Re: Better steering rack?

  When I got my '88 a year ago, the steering was't power assisted, so I
  figured I didn't have power steering, but the steering just didn't quite
  feel right. The non-power on my '81 was much lighter (at rest, and while
  driving), and the 16v just felt 'off'.  I did some more looking, and
  sure enough, I DO have power steering, it just doesn't work.  There are
  no leaks, and the reservior is full of fluid.  I haven't diagnosed
  anything yet, I'm assuming it's the pump, but I don't like it.  It's
  very heavy, and it just lacks the feel of my '81, and for that matter,
  the power steering in my Quantum.  I plan on ditching the power rack and
  swapping in a manual rack.
  Nate