Car running without they key

When I tried to leave for work this morning my car (79, 8v, 2.0 block,
1.8head) decided to not start on the first try. It cranked normal but
didn't
catch after about 30-40 seconds of trying so I turned the key to the off
position. I tried again and it just did a lazy turn over and gave up so I
turned the key to the off position again. Well apparently it wasn't done
trying and it started up on its own after that. The key was still in the off
position. In fact I took it out entirely I was so surprised. It seemed to be
idling OK during this time. I put the key back in, turned it to the on
position and then turned it off again, hoping that would shut the car off.
It didn't. I then started pulling fuses until the car shut off. There was
still a mechanical "whirring" coming from the engine bay though. Seemed to
be around the starter/fan motor area. No grinding at all, just whirring. So
I went back inside to get a couple tools and disconnected the battery to
stop it entirely. Both battery posts were very warm to the touch after this,
so I'm assuming whatever was running drew a decent amount of current.

The only culprit I can think of is the ignition switch. I have a good one
around here somewhere (I think) so I plan on trying that tomorrow (weather
permitting). If that's not it I'm baffled as to what this could be. Any
suggestions would be much appreciated.

And on a related but OT note: I'm now more motivated than ever to buy a
cheap daily driver. If anyone has an carfax can you run this VIN for me:
JT2BC52L2T0124174 (reply directly to me please). Or if you have a cheap,
reliable, economic driver for sale in the MD area send me an email. I don't
care too much what it is as long as it fits those criteria.

Thanks!