MK1 Windshield Install

Two questions:
1) Do you insert the trim piece while installing the windshield and seal or
do it after the windshield has been installed?  I can not get the windshield
trim in after the windshield has been installed.

2) Should a windshield leak water if the trim is not installed?  I thought I
took it of another scirocco a long time ago and had no water leaking issues.

I am guessing that I installed the windshield wrong since it leaks and I can
not get the trim piece in :(

--
Gordy
MK1 x 4