OT- More ETest wierdness

So I went along with the kid to laugh at him when his 88 5.0L Mustang
failed the Etest, which it did and didn't. His first test, which he failed,
was as a stock 5.0L. That he failed quite well, then he convinced them to
test it as a Hot Rod. It ran worse numbers and still passed easily under
those guidelines.
But this is the thing that concerns us veedubbers:
I came home and compared the limits to that of my 16V (which is always a
bitch to get passed). To my amazement, it was allowed almost twice as much
as the stock 5.0L on all pollutants!!! Must be to do with fuel management
but I was surprised. On a side note, I also got my bug tested, well,
officially anyway, the guy never even walked out to it, except to get the
gross weight off the door jamb. It passed. Even without the cat.
But, let's remember that the programme is designed to get the worst
polluters off the road. Or to pull an extra $37 out of my pocket per car
every other year. Anyway, that's it for me till next year.
Cathy