Transmission Help

I'm Having some transmission problems on my Jetta that has the motor and tranny from my rip 16v scirocco.  The cars been sitting awhile, and I took it out for a drive today.  It works fine in 1st through 4th gears, but when I go into fifth it makes an loud constanst clicking niose, like you can hear the gears.  I pulled the fill plug to check the level and it seems fine since some dribbled out.  BUT there was a bunch of gold metal flakes in the bit of fluid that came out (I'm assuming this is from sychros)

So, Is my fifth gear effed up?  Is completely draining the fluid and refilling going to help me at all?  Is it time for a new transmission?

Thanks for the help/suggestions!

-Doug

(I need to get rid of this Jetta a get a MK1!)