  From: Dan Bubb
  To: Ben Walter
  Cc: Scirocco List
  Sent: Saturday, October 14, 2006 10:29 AM
  Subject: Re: feeler: possibly parting out 86' 16v

  If we were all just looking at the Blue Book value of our cars most of us would have thrown in the towel a long time ago.
  I bought an 87 16V about 3 years ago with a parts car. Superficially the car looked good, but the engine didn't run and turned out to have two burned pistons.
  By the time I could stand to drive the car I'd spent $6500 doing all the labor myself. OTOH, I've now driven it 30,000 miles for a total cost of around $9000 including gas, parts, insurance and inspections and tags.
  Match $.30/mile with a new car!
  So, I guess it boils down to fixing up a car and spending the bucks or spending the bucks upfront.
  What's the point of owning a non-Scirocco, spending the same $$/mile in the long run and getting a lot less enjoyment??
  Dan