OT: PC speaker issues.

Static in audio typically comes from a bad contact.  Motherboard audio (or anything else solid state) is unlikely to fail as
compared to contacts.  If your system switches over to sending the motherboard audio to the pc speaker upon disconnection of the
external speakers, it is likely that a contact switches over as you plug in the externals.  Insert/remove the plug a few times and
see if that cleans off the contacts enough to fix things (the switching contact for such an arrangement is usually inside the jack
itself).

Al