Some wiring questions!

<snip Mike>
2) I believe that there is a signal booster / amplifier built into the base
of the antenna.  This is what the wee wire powers.  Either mine's shot or I
didn't hook it up properly with the aftermarket unit I put in. FM reception
isn't as good and there's virtually NO AM reception at all.
<end snip>

I believe this is the telltale sign that your antenna amplifier is shot.
Time to replace it or I believe someone here was able to crack open the base
of the Fuba and bypass the amp.

-Brad
'86 Scirocco 16v