Is the 1.8 16V really 1800 cc or is it a little less?

Before you re-invent the wheel check around and see what other people in
the class have done. Some people have been running the same class for
years, have tried lots of configurations and settled on what they
consider to be the best setup. When you are starting out, a lot of
knowledgeable people will give you a lot of good advice. (As you become
more competitive the information sources tend to dry up.) You don't have
to do what others have done, you can pick and choose among their ideas
and then add your own. But talking to others can save you a lot of time
and money that might have been spent chasing down blind alleys.

Chris